In layman’s language chain conveyor is a special device that transports objects, materials or products from one place to another within one’s own premises. Used majorly in the production and manufacturing industry, a chain conveyor is a form of carrier system for moving things through production lines with minimal effort.
How does it work?
- Primarily used to transport heavy objects such as grid boxes, containers a chain conveyor works on the principle of interconnectivity. A chain connects each gear resulting in a simple handover process. The conveyors make use of a power-driven rolling chain arrangement, carrying a series of single pendants, driven by a motor, and the materials placed on the pendants are conveyed.
- Horizontally placed conveyor movement gives maximum efficiency, creating a straightforward and steady condition for handling products. Conveyors also work in angular operations as the equipment can be tuned and turned to different angles. The belt can be made to move in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction as per the required movement mechanism.
- Easy to install chain conveyors need minimal maintenance and amalgamates easily with chain-driven live rollers (CDLR) and transfers.
Best use of chain conveyors
- Moving heavy items from one location to another, Chain conveyors effortless transports goods from point to another and are extremely durable
- At extreme temperature zones, such as ovens
- Transporting products that require continuous flow, to move an item to an end of the chain using a senor
- When there are items to be moved faster
Advantages of Chain Conveyor
- Since the flow is horizontal and not inclined, a standard speed ratio is attained.
- Can be put into work for long or shorter durations
- Due to its design pattern, there is less or no load on the shafts and pass on a motion to several shafts by one chain only.
- Chain conveyor develops more power than the belt conveyor making it more capable and executes a high-speed ratio of 8 to 10 in one step
Chain Conveyors can’t be used when you have to
- Accumulate products – Chain conveyors are not suitable if you have a flow that the product collects together at the end of a cycle.
- Products that wouldn’t fall or roll off the chain
- Use the conveyor as an operational platform, rather than transporting
- Move products up or down the slope. Chain conveyors are considered dangerous on uneven surfaces.
- Carry on materials on the curved surface. It’s recommended to use a 90degree turn to transfer products from one conveyor belt to another.
- Specification for Chain Conveyors the weight of the product and the product type, varied chain types, and tracks are used.
- The general capacity on chain conveyor range from 5000lbs up to 8000lbs.
- Heavy loads such as Welding construction material, which are massive in size, the polyethylene chain tracks provide resistance, seamless operation, and cost-effective in terms of power consumption.
- The Steel chain track gives us the comfort of increasing the load and yet they are safe. For mirror and color decorated parts- padded transfer chain with non-marring pads are considered
- The pattern of center-mounted drive helps us to operate the chain in reverse direction, making it a two-way channel
- These chains can also be customized with built to order option with specific modifications as required.
- For lighter loads, of up to 3000lbs, polyethylene chain tracks of the smaller size of C50, C60 and C80 are in use. This provides resistance, noiseless functioning and reduces electricity utilization
- The special hardened alloy steel track is used in C80 chains for enlarged loading capacity and prolonged life span.
- The conveyor is effectively used in the automotive and manufacturing industries for applications such as Warehousing and distribution, pallet handling, and batteries. This is considered as the vastly known, used extensively in industries that bring us things that we use on a daily basis.